Saturday, October 26, 2013

Sunday to Saturday... A birthday week of the Railfan.



                  Yes, it’s a Saturday today and it has been a mixed week for me. Last Sunday, we were enjoying waking up late to the cooler environs of Mahabaleshwar, doing sightseeing in Panchgani, Pratapgadh and scouting through the market for cheap deals. We returned back to the harsh humidity of Mumbai on Monday evening to get some much needed rest and a wonderfully spent Tuesday at home celebrating my growing of age, but by end of day the heat was on me. Fever had got the better of me and the next 2 days were spent at office with a running nose doing the worst shift for any person working near the International Airport, a 9-6 shift.



                    My regular commute is from Dombivli (DI) or Thakurli (THK) to Ghatkopar (GC) by slow EMUs running parallel with Nagpur-Mumbai CST Duranto, Latur Express and 15 Car Fast EMU. But while returning back, it is a round trip via Dadar (DDR)/ (DR). I normally catch the BEST bus 337 or 308 to Andheri (ADH) from the airport. This station never fails to impress me with its continuous stream of locals or EMUs. The rail traffic controllers at ADH are doing an awesome job.



                     Sometimes, I have to wait a few minutes at ADH platform(PF) 3 to catch up with my wife who commutes from Goregaon  and then we travel together in a calmer WR Fast(opposite to peak hour rush) till DDR. After crossing over from WR to CR while we are waiting at Kalyan (KYN) end of DR PF 4, my wife keeps talking merrily, I simply respond to her queries  and  silently  keep observing the Fast EMUs parade from 7:31 Badlapur,7:35 Kasara,7:38 Badlapur,7:41 Titvala,7:44 Ambarnath to finally board the 7:47 Kalyan (15 car) to DI. My wife usually gets sitting space from DR itself and yours truly too can stand comfortably in that train. I love the way fast EMUs keep reaching PF4 of DR, back to back and taking people back home.



                          Thursday was a day of heated debate on my Whatsapp Railfanning Group about the good and bad of WR and CR. Friday was spent in anticipation of good results of the first leg of CRS inspection for CR’s long awaited AC conversion between LTT and KYN. The good news is, that we passed the first acid test. Late evening traffic was affected by OHE wire problem near Sion and my 15 car was delayed by 15 min while departing from Dadar and maintained that delay right up to Dombivli.


                           Finally, it’s a Saturday and I have a 7-4 shift at office. Instead of attempting to catch the first fast at 5:54 from DI, I decided to do a calmer commute cum rail fanning till Ghatkopar (GC). I rode my Honda Activa to Kopar and as I parked and went up the Foot over bridge (FOB), the deafening sound of the Dombivli-Boisar Push Pull passing over the Kopar Over Bridge could be heard. I waited to see it give out a long hoot and chug out of Kopar Upper (PF 3).  Then the wait for a DI starting slow at 5:50 was taking an extra minute as it was negotiating the turnouts and recent speed restriction on UP slow till Kopar .Got into the Middle First Class, and took the coveted window seat in a BHEL rake. As we left Kopar, the first fast EMU of the day, overtook us at almost Maximum Permissible Speed (MPS) .At Diva Junction (DW), the 5:20am slot LTT departing Saket Express crossed us and as we made our way out of DW, to give us company, GOC WDP4D #40099 with Matsyagandha was sneaking onto mainline. Mumbra and Kalva were uneventful and I believe Madgaon Janshatabdi had already crossed the Parsik Tunnel long back. We had a parallel entry into Thane (TNA) PF4 with #13618 Shakti hauling in Siddeshwar Express to PF6. Matsyagandha was already cooling off on PF 8. We were the first to leave TNA from at 6:16.  Bhushan's favourite Indrayani Express made it to TNA PF5 with an ALCO. My anticipation of a Triple parallel action was keeping me engrossed near the window.



                            With an empty door beckoning, I was yearning to get the wind in my hair. I ditched my window seat to door plate. Mulund (MLND) was uneventful; I chuckled to say an imaginary hello to Harshad, as I was riding his favourite BHEL rake. As we approached Nahur, WDP4D was the first to come from behind and overtake us on the fly. Not to be left behind Shakti, wanting to prove a point made a brutal third parallel run train to run alongside my EMU. Finally, as we dropped speed, Shakti with Siddeshwar Express was long gone and WDP4D with Matsyagandha too was untraceable. I was left gleaming with a wide smile on my face. 5th line had twin WCAG1 #21976/79 with freight near Bhandup and at Vikhroli we crossed Gitanjali Express hauled out by WCAM3 #21886, closely followed by my favourite, the lone 15 car of CR to KYN. As I was stepping out of GC, Tapovan Express was making a dash through PF 3. I know this is mundane commute but just felt like sharing it with you, because it was a lazy Saturday and I had enough time to jot this done at work. Hope, you too had enough time to be with me on this journey.


Brickbats and comments welcome as always. J



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be really happy to read from you...